A Millennium Bug Comes To Visit

Milo spent a week with me and my life has not been the same.
I was asked to save his exploits, so that they may always live on in the realm of blogland.
I think the Bug would approve.

A Little Time To Talk With Milo.....

After the previous posts, I was not sure what humor I would  find Mr. Milo M. Bug in.....that last night-cam shot was pretty disastrous, at least for a person MY age.
But when I went to wake him this morning, he was just a little groggy and looking fairly sweet, even if a bit bleary around the edges.


"Milo, I have a cup of cocoa for you and an aspirin if you need it....."


I heard a slightly muffled "Thank you...." as the bug sat up and tried to get his walking legs under himself.


"You know, we have a few things to discuss......." I said gently because the little tike was wobbling a bit, and hey---all of us have celebrated just a TAD TOO MUCH at least once in our lives, eh?
I helped him up to his cup and sat across from him and, having never had to do this with children, ask *the questions*. (you know what I mean.....)


"Milo, you're a charming young bug, but I want to know where you learned about, ummmm, you know? The things you were looking up on the internet?"


Dead silence.
"Come on.....Deb's going to expect an answer from me on this one. Where did you hear about looking that stuff up on-line?"


Milo was still eyeing the cup, and trying to avoid answering, but I did not give in. I think he knew it was fess-up time.


"Well," he said, "When I was on my way here, I could hear guys talking about all sorts of things. Some of them were talking about *IT*. And I wondered what they meant. So I figured if you didn't know I was checking it out online, everything would be okay. I'd just pretend to sleep, and then see what was around here."
I still did not say anything.


"So the first night it was just a lot of FUN running through your studio...."
I sighed, "Yes, I can understand that. I have fun there too---but you could have gotten hurt with some of the things you did, you know?"
He shook his head. "Nope. I'm a bug and have an exoskeleton, so I wouldn't get broken bones. I might have gotten tangled up, but I don't break easy. I could get squished though....I think. But it would have to be something really big or tall to squish me," he added as an afterthought.
"Okay," I said, "The second night---I'm not going to have to have the computer taken in for debugging or to get things removed that shouldn't be there, am I?" And I really wanted a straight answer on this one because I have a LOT of material on the computer.
Milo blanched a little, sucking down the cocoa.


"Well, I just thought it would be nice to have a girlbugfriend. And I heard those guys say that there were lots of women to get online. But you had to PAY on all the sites!" He looked down and sort of seemed.....embarrassed?


"And I don't have money because I'm just a bug."
Now, I know I'm supposed to be the tough mom here, but this was hard to take.
"Milo, swear to me you're telling the truth---I mean it."


"I am! I am! But I did copy my butt on your copier cause I saw that in a movie once and wondered what it was like to do......am I in trouble?"
(Oh man, I am 50 and I just realized I have no parenting skills! And I am finding this out very quick!)
"Look Milo, here are the ground rules. No unsupervised computer time. Period. No getting up at night unless you need a drink of water, and if you behave and we can get some things done around here, then I can give you an allowance. You help me out, and you'll earn some money and then when you meet a NICE girlbugfriend, you'll be able to take her for, oh, gummy worms or whatever it is you like. Okay?"
Then he flashed that charming smile and nodded yes, and I knew I was sunk.  What a bug.
"So how about if we take it easy today, and get you settled down, then tomorrow, we can cut the grass and you can help with the John Deere. Does that sound good? Because I am sure you need a bath and want to unpack and get a little more comfortable....."
And I am thinking to myself, he is already quite comfortable and could care less about settling down.


"Okay. That sounds good." His little bug-butt was crawling off the table when he peeped back up and said, "Mom told me I would like you!"


"And thank you for knitting me my own little afghan. It's awfully nice and cozy!!!"
And there he was, all eyes, antennae and smile.
Ay-yi-yi. I know who is really in charge here, and it's not me!